1 3 3

: USA FORUM

May 2007
    Piraeus

USA FORUM

The transmission is actually quite fast shifting, but it has to be driven like a manual because it IS a manual. ie - it's "robotized" and does the clutch for you. This means you need to lift OFF THE GAS like in a manual for a split second or else the computers will override you to keep from burning the clutch between shifts. Like in a manual - you don't mash the gas to the floor and hold it there between shifts. That's *automatic* transmission behavior. And it's not an automatic.

In a test I recently took(second one - yay! Living in Los Angeles has its benefits!) - all it takes is 2/10ths of a second release on the gas as you hit the shifter to work exactly like the manual that it is. If you mash it there and let the computer do its thing... you get the slowness that most people complain about. The old Toyota MR2 had an identical option and for people who understood how to drive it(90% didn't) it was fine. The paddles help incredibly. And there is what appears to be a 3-5 day learning curve(based upon my progress), like knowing how to let of the throttle on a motorcycle a little bit between shifts. Every one is different and this is no exception.

... . ? . . / ...

May 2008
    Kifissia

Pluto
    The transmission is actually quite fast shifting, but it has to be driven like a manual because it IS a manual. ie - it's "robotized" and does the clutch for you. This means you need to lift OFF THE GAS like in a manual for a split second or else the computers will override you to keep from burning the clutch between shifts. Like in a manual - you don't mash the gas to the floor and hold it there between shifts. That's *automatic* transmission behavior. And it's not an automatic.

In a test I recently took(second one - yay! Living in Los Angeles has its benefits!) - all it takes is 2/10ths of a second release on the gas as you hit the shifter to work exactly like the manual that it is. If you mash it there and let the computer do its thing... you get the slowness that most people complain about. The old Toyota MR2 had an identical option and for people who understood how to drive it(90% didn't) it was fine. The paddles help incredibly. And there is what appears to be a 3-5 day learning curve(based upon my progress), like knowing how to let of the throttle on a motorcycle a little bit between shifts. Every one is different and this is no exception.

... . ? . . / ...

smart . , . manual. .

Apr 2008
    honey-bee

Pluto
    The transmission is actually quite fast shifting,
    ??
    DSG

Pluto
    ... . ? . . / ...
    ( )